Chapter 21 Social Services is now online
Read Chapter 21 Social Services.
During the 13 years from 1984 to 1997, despite the need for continuity in such an important area of service provision, there were six chairs of the Social Services Committee and no-one in post of Director for 14 months between the departure of Irene Walton, who was pushed out by the Labour Group leadership, and the succession of Mike Bishop, who was previously Director of Social Services at the headlining Cleveland County Council. This chapter covers those changes and the responses to failing standards in the Council’s elderly persons’ homes (EPHs) and the requirements of the Care in the Community legislation.
- A history of Child Protection by the Safeguarding Children e-Academy
- ‘Timeline: a history of child protection’, David Batty, 18 May 2005, Guardian
- ‘Timeline of learning disability history’, Open University
- National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990 and detail on Wikipedia
- National Assistance Act 1948 and detail on Wikipedia